Kenmore Live Studio
Date Night Hero with Author Craig Priebe
- Meet Craig & Grill Pizzas
- Cantaloupe Pizza Sauce
- Mime Pizza Party w/ Kenny More
- Perfect Pizza Dough Recipe & Demo
- Grilled Pizza Dough Recipe Part 2
- Genius Tip of the Night
- The Emilian Grilled Pizza Recipe (Full
- Chicago's Best with Ted Brunson, WGN-TV,
Chicago, IL (10/17/2010)
on the Grill
- Fox 4 News, Dallas TX Watch
- News 8 Day Break, Dallas TX Watch
Words of Wisdom from Craig W. Priebe
Priebe, 42, is the executive chef of Henry Crown & Company (222 N. La Salle St.),
a co-author (along with Dianne Jacob) of the new Grilled Pizzas & Piadinas (DK Publishing),
and a pizza maniac. He's also pretty interesting, so you might put his free May 29th cooking
demo/signing at Macy's on State (111 N. State St.) on your calendar.
"The recipes in the book include my own inventions, like the Jamaican [jerk pork with dark plum
chutney, fresh mango, and cilantro], and the New Orleans [blackened crawdads, spicy apricot sauce,
andouille sausage, and roasted peppers]."
"A piadina? It's just a flatbread that has very simple fillings. Maybe prosciutto. They are folded
but not calzone. Just fold it over and eat it. I think it's going to catch on, like panini; it's just
going to take some time."
"I don't have culinary heroes. My heroes are the equipment. The giant stockpots. The 60-gallon steam
kettles. Rows of giant deck ovens that rotate. They turned me on. So cool, all that stainless steel."
"Kitchen disasters? The ceiling was leaking really bad, so I complained to the landlord over and over,
and one day I'm making dough and standing in a couple of inches of water, and I lean on the mixer.
It electrocuted me, knocked me off my feet. Then I find out that the cooks were getting shocked by the steam
tables, too. Every now and then they would get a jolt."
"My grandma is 93, and she's still a great Italian cook. She had me in the kitchen since I was a kid
with her five-gallon pots of polenta and hundreds of ravioli."
"I want to open up pizzerias. That is in my heart. Grilled pizzerias."
- Grilling Books Round-Up, Bay Area Newspaper Group (to run the first week in July)
- Publishers Weekly review
Priebe's passion for grilled pizza is illustrated in his first cookbook, in which he shares recipes
from the Atlanta grilled pizza restaurant he ran for years. Also included are recipes for piadinas
(which he describes as folded Italian sandwiches) salads and desserts. He has adapted his recipes
for the home cook and explains how they can be made on outdoor grills (charcoal or gas) as well as
indoor grills of all kinds-from cast-iron skillets to panini presses. His detailed, step-by-step
instructions on rolling out dough, building the dishes and physically putting them on the grill are
easy to follow and are accompanied by color photographs. His pizza recipes, broken down into meat,
chicken, seafood and vegetable varieties, are fun and innovative-smoked sausage with honey mustard and
coleslaw, chicken and plantain with coconut sauce and crab with orange and beet salad, to name a few.
Recipes for piadinas (made with grilled unleavened flatbread) and salads are less inspired but still
enticing such as the PAT piadina, with pancetta, arugula and tomato, and escarole salad with lemon. Sweet
and satisfying dessert recipes call for both pizza and piadina dough, and are grilled versions of traditional
favorites like the apple tart and Grasshopper Pie.
- Good Day Atlanta, WAGA-TV (FOX), Atlanta, GA (6/4/08) Watch
- Everyday with Marcus and Lisa, FAMILYNET TELEVISION (6/4/08) Watch
- Chef & the Fatman, AM 1160, Atlanta, GA (6/5/08)
- ABC7 News Sunday Morning, WLS-TV (6/8/08) Watch
- Eyewitness News at Noon, WTHR-TV (NBC), Indianapolis, IN (6/13/08) Watch
- Book Review with photos, Dolce-Colce Magazine, Atlanta, GA (www.dolce-dolce.com; 6/13/08)
- Book/Event Mention, Tablehopper.com (6/17/08)
- Book Review, Flavors Magazine, Roswell, GA
- The View from the Bay, KGO-TV (ABC; 6/20/08) Watch
- Dining Around with Gene Burns, KGO-RADIO, San Francisco, CA (6/21/08)
- A Matter of Taste, KKGN-RADIO, San Francisco, CA (6/22/08)
- Blog Review/Event Mention, WorldonaPlate.org (6/08)
- Feature, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung Magazine
- The Spike O'Dell Radio Program/ WGN-RADIO (5/5/08) Listen
- Amy's Table: A Girl's Guide, WKRQ-FM RADIO (101.9FM), Cincinnati, OH (5/6/08) Listen
- Chicago's Dish Blog (5/7/08)
- All Star Radio Network (5/17/08) Listen
- Eat Out Magazine (5/17/08)
- Gour-med Magazine (5/17/08)
- Feature, Restaurant Radio Chicago Network (5/17/08)
- The Dean Richards Show, WGN-RADIO, Chicago, IL. (5/18/08)
- 24/7 Chicago: Secrets of the city, WMAQ-TV (NBC; 5/20/08) Watch
- Feature, Boston Globe (5/21/08)
- Grilling Books Round-Up, San Francisco Chronicle (5/21/08)
- WGN-TV Superstation (CW CH. 9) - WGN News at Noon "Lunchbreak" Segment (05/27/08) Watch